Survivor Style: Red Heart Collection Fashion Show at Macy’s at the Shops at La Cantera
The recent Red Heart Collection Fashion Show was so inspiring that even an area-wide black out couldn’t stop the momentum. While a thunderstorm poured outside, inside survivors of heart disease, heart defects and other cardiac related issues strutted up and down the runway to raise awareness about heart health in San Antonio.
I was so glad to attend this fabulous event with my wonderful mom as my plus one. Both my mother and I are well aware of the importance of heart health. As women who are living with and survivors of heart issues, we were thrilled to be at an event that celebrated living happily, healthily and fabulously – like we try to do!
On the runway, smiling models from children through adults donned well-styled fall outfits and makeup trends by Macy’s. The event, put on by Go Red for Women and the American Heart Association, also reminded us that heart disease does not discriminate and can affect anyone’s life. The young models stood out for their poise and grace — even as they tottered on miniature high heels. But it was perhaps the tiniest model who stole the show, and demonstrated how to properly rock a denim dress.
Emcee Jeanette Calle from WOAI News 4 San Antonio told each survivor’s story as they graced the runway, and – just like the audience – couldn’t help but become visibly moved by the strength and dignity of one particular aneurism survivor. That said, each model’s desire to share their story is to be commended.
But as moving as it was, it was really a night to celebrate! I can tell you that the audience left inspired to live well and live stylishly. To help you do that, here’s a list of the top trends of the night:
- Hot colors: The shades of the evening were definitely mustard yellow, black, deep browns and blues.
- Lace: Romantic and pretty, lace dominated the night’s evening looks.
- Fringe: On everything from jackets to purses this season, you are going to want something with a fringe trim.
- Denim: It may be time to mercifully retire those skinny jeans in favor of flattering straight leg and bootleg cuts.
- Confidence: Models of every age embraced their outfits, smiled and made the looks their own.